COMMUNITY Study Questions
- What stood out to you from this week’s sermon?
- Read Genesis 16:1 - 6.
- Each person in this family bears some responsibility for the conflict that they were having yet no one took responsibility for their own part of the problem. Why do you think it is so hard for us to see what part we play in a conflict?
- If we can see our responsibility, why do we find it hard to take responsibility for our part?
- When it comes to conflict, is your natural tendency to ‘fight’ or to ‘flight’? What are the strengths and weaknesses of either option?
- Read Genesis 16:7 - 8.
- When Hagar runs away, the angel of the Lord pursues her, and finds her and addresses her with dignity and compassion. Does that surprise you? Why or why not?
- Read Psalm 139:1 - 12. What are the implications of what David writes in this Psalm for us, whether we are running away from a mess in our life or just living our daily life?
- Read Genesis 16:9 - 12.
- What would have been the ‘costs’ to Hagar of returning to Sarai?
- What would have been the ‘costs’ to Hagar of returning to Egypt?
- Why did the angel of the Lord instruct her to go back to Sarai?
- If you are tempted to run away from a mess in your life, why should you go back now?
- If you ran away from a mess in your life a long time ago is there any value in circling back to that relationship now?
- Read Genesis 16:13
- How does it help to know that God is the “God who sees”?